Once you have signed up for the class, it is time to start thinking about your blessing for them that will be read during the dedication ceremony. Bring your blessing to the class.
Writing Your Blessing
Prayers of blessing are usually expressions of God’s intended goodness prayed by ordinary people who pray in the power of having their hearts aligned with God’s heart. Blessings bestow a future. Prayers of blessing are always prayers of hope.
- Pray about the words you will use to bless your child
- Speak what you know God desires, or what you see is needed
- Describe the future, a hope, and a destiny
- Integrate scriptures that are important to you or that you want to pray over your child.
- Try to maintain “your voice” as opposed to a “church sounding” voice.
- Practice your blessing to prepare for the celebration.
- Anticipate being nervous and a little uncomfortable speaking publicly.
- Work through and decide who will hold child and who will do the speaking.
- Keep your blessing to around 100 words
- My son Wyatt, I bless you in the name of our king, Jesus. And I pray Proverbs 3: 5-6 over your life, “Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all of your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight.” May God grow you into a mighty man for His kingdom, with a lion’s heart for His truth and his ways. Wyatt, may you always remember that you were made to worship God. We love you son.
- My daughter Eden, your name means “delightful,” and you certainly are delightful. Your smile and your bright spirit lights up our home. We love you and bless you today, praying that you will always know that you are loved as our daughter, but also that you are a daughter of the King. May God grow and bless you into a woman who brings glory to His name. We pray 1 Samuel 1:28 for you today, “Now I am giving you to the Lord, and you will belong to the Lord your whole life.
- My son Nolan, I bless you in the name of the King of Glory who is strong and mighty in battle. May your life reflect the spirit of the One whose image you bear. May you be filled with joy He promises to those who follow him faithfully. May you grow in your ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. May you find satisfaction in all that God provides. May your life always be lived for the cause of our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ. We are now giving you to the Lord, and you will belong to the Lord your whole life. Amen.
- Now I am giving you to the Lord, and you will belong to the Lord your whole life. (1 Samuel 1:28)
- May God be your God from the moment you are born (Psalm 22:10)
- God saw you before you were born. Every day of your life was recorded in his book. (Psalm 139:16)
- The Lord called you before your birth; from within the womb he called you by name. (Isaiah 49:1)
- Christ will make his home in your heart as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. (Ephesians 3:17)
- And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished. (Philippians 1:6)
- May God live you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord. (2 Peter 1:2)